These agreements were forged by a staff committee.
Treat Colleagues with Respect by:
- Weighing all decisions against the [STATION] mission statement, being open to feedback on those decisions and following up on decisions I make.
- Assuming expertise — having confidence in the skills of my co-workers regardless of their position.
- Updating colleagues on happenings in my department.
- Seeking input — listening to opinions and explaining any decisions I make.
- Using the most expedient and appropriate form of communication.
- Ensuring important news reaches all staff quickly.
- Refraining from inappropriate jokes or language.
- Recognizing that students and interns need to be mentored. Using discretion with them.
Respect People’s Time by:
- Honoring commitments. Avoiding last minute requests to the extent possible.
- Being punctual to meetings.
- Being well organized and brief if I’ve called a meeting.
- Only calling a meeting if other communication won’t suffice.
Respect Co-worker’s Privacy by
- Using discretion in our conversations while being mindful of shared workspace.
- Stopping any conversation I think is disparaging to a colleague.
- Not reading or going through mail, e-mail or voice mail of others unless asked to do so by them.
Work Toward Fair Conflict Resolution by
- Talking in a closed office or production room to allow for privacy.
- Working out problems first with the person with whom I have an issue. If there’s no resolution, I’ll find a person with whom I can confide and strategize and decide to follow through on the issue or drop it. I will go to a supervisor only if there’s no resolution after that.
- If the problem is listed in (university, college, state, institution personnel guidelines) I will follow up using those procedures. If I’m in AFTRA I may follow the grievance guidelines outlined in the current union contract.