This is a description of a staff Job at [LICENSEE], NOT a Job Opening Announcement. Look for Current Job Openings and then Apply Online or use [LICENSEE]’s Staff JobFinder to be notified of vacancies for jobs of interest to you.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under limited supervision, implements and coordinates a comprehensive underwriting marketing program for a public broadcasting station in accordance with defined revenue goals, and in compliance with relevant FCC regulations. Identifies, cultivates, and secures contributions from business supporters, sells air time to non-profit organizations, and secures goods and services through trade agreements. Negotiates and prepares contracts and agreements, and oversees and monitors their fulfillment by the station.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as a primary liaison and services representative between the station and its business contributors; maintains a program of frequent contact, acknowledgements, and recognition events to build and maintain relationships with contributors.
- Identifies potential business contributors and prepares comprehensive customized proposals and presentations, based on market research and demographics, defining donor benefits, and suggesting level and nature of underwriting agreement.
- Presents proposals to prospective business contributors and/or foundations, as appropriate; utilizes a range of effective sales and negotiation techniques to secure new and/or repeat underwriting agreements and sales of air time.
- Monitors and researches all available resources to identify businesses as potential contributors; maintains accurate and current records on all business contributors.
- Oversees contract fulfillment, scheduling, billing, and collection for all underwriting and/or non-profit paid announcement (NPA) accounts.
- Creates, develops, and prepares sales and promotional materials to be used in soliciting underwriting contributions and NPA sales.
- Develops, writes copy, and coordinates production and scheduling for underwriting announcements, credits, and/or NPA’s, in conformance with FCC regulations and station policy.
- Prepares and submits regular reports to management on underwriting activities and revenue.
- Participates in on-air fundraisers and other promotional events, as appropriate.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, or related field with 3 to 5 years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Proposal and grant writing skills.
- Ability to develop, prepare, and deliver effective media sales proposals and presentations.
- Ability to analyze and apply market research data.
- Ability to effectively utilize a range of media sales methods and techniques.
- Informational research and recordkeeping skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of the unique operating principles, programming practices, and funding needs of public broadcasting.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Knowledge of FCC regulations pertaining to underwriting contributions and non- profit paid announcements.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate promotional activities and/or special events.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
The [LICENSEE] provides all training required by OSHA to ensure employee safety.