This is a description of a staff Job at [LICENSEE], NOT a Job Opening Announcement. Look for Current Job Openings and then Apply Online or use [LICENSEE]’s Staff JobFinder to be notified of vacancies for jobs of interest to you.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under general supervision, collects and analyzes information about newsworthy events to write news stories for publication or broadcast. May specialize in one type of reporting, such as sports or political affairs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives assignments or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding story through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Compiles and incorporates supplemental material and background information from a range of sources, such as files, reference libraries, and/or individual knowledgeable sources, as appropriate.
- Delivers live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit, as appropriate.
- May monitor police and fire department radio communications to obtain story leads.
- May take photographs or shoot video to illustrate stories.
- May edit, or assist in editing, videos and/or audios for broadcast.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree with 6 months to 1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of journalism principles and techniques.
- Skill in the use of journalistic research and methods and techniques.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Knowledge of editorial and ethical standards for the research and development of journalistic articles and/or presentations.
- Creative writing skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
The [LICENSEE] provides all training required by OSHA to ensure employee safety.